About Me

My photo
Cedar, Leelanau County, Michigan (near Traverse City), United States
I am a 76 year old (born 7/4/1937) retired Public Radio Engineer from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. Happily married to the love of my life, Teddy (nee Teddy Schlueter). Teddy is a retired Medical Records Clerk from Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin. Two children, Michael and Lon. Lon passed away in 1994. Michael is married to his wonderful wife, Toni and lives in Appleton, Wisconsin. For photos click on link below or visit our photo site http://www.flickr.com/photos/igboo NOTE: Click on photos for full-size images.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Annual Snowbird Migration (part two)

Leaving Pahrump on Monday April 7th we headed for St. George, Utah. The Dingmans and the Mays had made reservations there at a Western Horizons park.

Western Horizons is a members only organization with several parks scattered around mostly in the western states and operated similar to timeshare condos, etc. Members park free, however as non-members we could get in for two days as guests of the Dingmans for $25.00.night
Panoramic view from our site.

The park, called St. George RV was located about 15 miles north of St. George. We arrived mid afternoon, paid $50.00 for two nights, got set-up and Teddy at once, set out to hike & explore the surrounding areas. I, as is my wont, spent my time chatting with other campers. The Dingmans & the Mays both planned on staying about three days before heading on to their respective homes in WY & WA. We were to leave Wed. morning after using up our two day guest pass. However, Tue morning a member approached me with a coupon for 5 free nights on the condition that we sit through a sales presentation. I took the coupon to the office and asked I could use it to extend our stay to Saturday. The said yes and also refunded my $50.00.
All was right with the world...and then...
**BOOM** Larry falls down!!
Tue afternoon about 5 pm we were rerturning to our trailer after playing Pegs & Jokers in the clubhouse with the Dingmans & the Mays. I was riding my Segway and had stopped to chat with some folks while the others continued on. They were curious about the Segway and I began showing off a bit and made the startling discovery that I am not quite as agile as I was in my twenties. In short I got pitched off, landing squarely in the gravel on my left elbow.
Benny May took Teddy & I to Emergency at the St. George hospital and you do not have to be a radiologist to see that my arm was broken just above the elbow where it enters the joint.
The hospital bought in an Orthopedic surgeon and he wanted to do emergency surgery that evening...until...wait..oh oh! Larry is on the blood thinner, Cumiden. So they splinted me up, sent me home and scheduled surgery for three days later on Friday.
I spent the next three days in a drug induced haze, during which we had to endure a one-on-one session with a very rude Western Horizions salesman who seemed very pissed that we wouldn't fork over $12,000 to fatten their coffers. Another reality that now became apparent was that with 2000 miles to go, Teddy was going to have to take over the driving. She had driven the rig before but only in rural areas and never in cities nor on & off into fuel stations.etc. She was stressed to the max and nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof but bore up through it all. Benny and Sandy delayed their departure to help Teddy cope and to prepare her for the drive back.
Friday afternoon came and into surgery I went. Spent one night in the hospital and was released Saturday noon.As you can see from these post-op picts, they managed to get a whole lot of metal into my poor little arm. :-(

Benny got Teddy all hooked up, Sandy made me some tuna salad sandwitches and we headed north toward Salt Lake City and then east toward Wisconsin. Although I was wierded out on Codene I was still able to help Teddy through the cities and into
and out of Wal-Mart parking lots. To tell the truth I don't remember a whole lot of the trip back but nontheless we arrived here in Appleton on Friday the 18th.
Since we have been here, we have seen our dentist, been to the doctor twice about my arm, went out for fish with Greg & Sue Madson, had dinner at Tom & Carol Sykes with the martini group, had the tires rotated on the truck, and got all of our maintenance problems fixed at Appleton Camping. Tonight we are going out to dinner with Mike & Toni, Monday we are going to martinis at Dick & Jenny Orrs, and Tuesday we plan on completing the last leg of our journey to Traverse City & Cedar, Michigan.
Have an appointment May 8th with my Ortho doc. (Dr. Peters, the one that did my knee last summer) and a perscription for rehab from the doc. in St. George.
See you Kal. :-)
On the bright side...things are bound to get better! Right!!

No comments: