About Me

My photo
Cedar, Leelanau County, Michigan (near Traverse City), United States
I am a 76 year old (born 7/4/1937) retired Public Radio Engineer from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. Happily married to the love of my life, Teddy (nee Teddy Schlueter). Teddy is a retired Medical Records Clerk from Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin. Two children, Michael and Lon. Lon passed away in 1994. Michael is married to his wonderful wife, Toni and lives in Appleton, Wisconsin. For photos click on link below or visit our photo site http://www.flickr.com/photos/igboo NOTE: Click on photos for full-size images.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Comfort Food

When I was a boy and became ill my mother would fix me milktoast and poached egg. I suppose that the theory was that it was bland and easy to digest. It consisted of warm milk poured over of two slices of buttered toast arranged on a plate each topped with a poached egg. It ultimately became, and still is, my comfort food for whenever I am not feeling well. I suppose it’s my version of chicken soup. I can still remember the little “oil slicks” floating on the milk from the butter.
At any rate, I have been under the weather for the past few days with a massive head cold consisting of a stuffed up head, lung congestion and a hacking chough and this morning, per my request, Teddy fixed me milktoast and egg shown here.
I already feel better.
It got me thinking, though, that many of us probably have some sort of security blanket and/or comfort food for when they are feeling blue or under the weather.
So my proposal is this: If any readers of this blog should feel inclined to send me their own version of a comfort food, etc. I will list them in a subsequent blog. If you wish to be anonymous please indicate so and I will not include your name otherwise I will give credit where credit is due using first names only.
I think it will be fun.
Hope to hear from you.
Send to: comfortfood@larryandteddy.com

No comments: