About Me

My photo
Cedar, Leelanau County, Michigan (near Traverse City), United States
I am a 76 year old (born 7/4/1937) retired Public Radio Engineer from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. Happily married to the love of my life, Teddy (nee Teddy Schlueter). Teddy is a retired Medical Records Clerk from Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin. Two children, Michael and Lon. Lon passed away in 1994. Michael is married to his wonderful wife, Toni and lives in Appleton, Wisconsin. For photos click on link below or visit our photo site http://www.flickr.com/photos/igboo NOTE: Click on photos for full-size images.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Road Trip (part 2)

...After returning to Chloride we decided that we still had time to drive on up to the Hoover (aka Boulder) Dam about 50-60 miles NW of Chloride. It took us much longer time to get there than we originally thought as traffic across the Dam was bumper to bumper...stop and go... beginning about two to three miles from the dam. However it was a nice day and we didn't mind; we just munched on dry roasted peanuts and inched along with the other tourists.
On reaching the dam we drove on across to the Nevada side; set our clocks back one hour to Nevada time and then turned around and drove back across to the Arizona side and set our clocks ahead to Arizona time. ;-)
There are several parking areas for dam visitors on the Arizona side so we then pulled into the closest one to the dam and crossed the dam once more...this time on foot. The only thing that I didn't like was having to set my watch two more times again. If I had to do over I just don't think I'd bother...come to think of it I don't think Teddy did it at all; it was just me.
At any rate I snapped this picture of the dam on all its glory. It is actually six photos cleverly stitched togather into a long panaroma. (click on the picture for a full size version) If you look closely you can see the high water line on both the dam and on the rock face across Lake Mead. I didn't actually measure it myself but was told that the lake level is about 100 feet below that line.
On the way back to Havasu City along I-40 we pulled off onto the shoulder and took a pict. of this strange "golfball" home which we had spotted on the way up that morning.

No comments: