About Me

My photo
Cedar, Leelanau County, Michigan (near Traverse City), United States
I am a 76 year old (born 7/4/1937) retired Public Radio Engineer from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. Happily married to the love of my life, Teddy (nee Teddy Schlueter). Teddy is a retired Medical Records Clerk from Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin. Two children, Michael and Lon. Lon passed away in 1994. Michael is married to his wonderful wife, Toni and lives in Appleton, Wisconsin. For photos click on link below or visit our photo site http://www.flickr.com/photos/igboo NOTE: Click on photos for full-size images.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Update on my arm

It’s been seven weeks since the first surgery on my left arm.Here's a photo of what it looks like now. notice how swollen my arm is. (i assure you, that's not muscle ;-))
I guess that I didn’t fully appreciate the severity of my injury as I thought that by now I would be much further along in my recovery.
The mobility in my elbow is very limited. I can only move the joint a few degrees between about 65 to 90 degrees which is not enough to even reach my face. To complicate things further the tendons in my hand are screwed up to the extent that I cannot close my hand and movement in my shoulder is extremely painful. My arm and hand are still quite swollen and my therapist thinks that when we get the swelling down my hand mobility will improve. The therapist started this week and is coming to the trailer three times a week. For now he is leaving the elbow joint alone and is concentrating on the hand and shoulder. To tell the truth, it is beginning to wear on me and I have to fight mentally to keep from going into depression. Sleeping at night is especially hard. I don’t know what I would have done without Teddy. She has been my rock through all this but I can tell that it is hard on her too.
We both look forward to returning to Havasu this fall and will be there come hell or high water no matter what the cost of diesel is. Our arrival reservation at Havasu Falls is for Oct.14 and we also have a one month reservation at Terribles Lakeside in Pahrump prior to that from Sept. 13 to Oct. 13. and are looking forward to that as well. Hopefully I’ll be much improved by then.
I apologize for the negative feeling that this blog conveys but am trying to tell it as it is. I also know that there are many people much worse off than me and am thankful that my injuries were not more severe than they are.
Thanks to all of you for the cards, letters and phone calls. Encouragement from friends goes a long way in my mental well being and helps tremendously in the healing process.
Larry
920-716-7246
Summer address: 3842 Townline Road, Cedar, MI 49621

No comments: