About Me

My photo
Cedar, Leelanau County, Michigan (near Traverse City), United States
I am a 76 year old (born 7/4/1937) retired Public Radio Engineer from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. Happily married to the love of my life, Teddy (nee Teddy Schlueter). Teddy is a retired Medical Records Clerk from Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin. Two children, Michael and Lon. Lon passed away in 1994. Michael is married to his wonderful wife, Toni and lives in Appleton, Wisconsin. For photos click on link below or visit our photo site http://www.flickr.com/photos/igboo NOTE: Click on photos for full-size images.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Larry's Weight

Click on graph for larger image.

When I checked into the hospital on June 12 they recorded my weight as 300 lbs. In other words, I had become really really fat. Most likely, that in itself was a major contributing factor to my knee deterioration. So I finally decided to get serious about loosing some weight. the above graph tracks my steady weight loss since June 12. I set a goal of losing 100 lbs in one years time and as the chart shows, I am on track to do just that. In simple terms energy in minus energy out determines ones weight, so to lose weight one must either reduce energy in through diet and/or increase energy out through exercise. Since I am pretty much a "couch potato" my success has depended mostly on restricting my caloric intake. I jokingly tell folks that I have been hungry since June but in truth after a few weeks my body has seemed to adjust and it really isn't so bad. The big thing was cutting way back on the evening snacks. At this point, I'm understandably proud of my progress so far and am pretty sure that I can make my goal but...the real test will be, once there, staying there. ;-)

1 comment:

Bill and Barb said...

Larry,
Congratulations on your weight loss. It takes a lot of determination over a long period of time to lose that much weight. I am sure you are encouraged every time you get on the scale and that you are already feeling healthier.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted! Enjoy following your blog and hope to be on our own "new life style" as soon as we sell the house.

Barb & Bill Connor